Being a Female Drilling Engineer : How I got into it

by - March 28, 2018

Good morning everyone!

So, my name is Rachmi and I am a drilling engineer. I studied Petroleum Engineering in Institut Teknologi Bandung and graduated on July 2016. After that I joined national oil company for internship in drilling department for 10 months, then moved to multinational oil company, as a drilling engineer.
So, how do I get here?
Source : Epaabuse.com
Back when I was in senior high school, I was that nerdy kid that no one knew about. Like literally, I was such a nerd that even my class leader didn’t know who I was until 12th grade. We happened to be in one class and he innocently asked my friend who I was, he thought I was a new kid. That was kinda painful and embarrassing.
Then, I wanted to be different. I didn’t want to take any mainstream major. And I wanted it to be a difficult major, I wanted to prove myself that I was worth knowing for. Well, I was so naïve. But there I was, so determined to prove to the world I was something. I decided to take a faculty of mining and petroleum engineering in one of the best technical institute in Indonesia.
Well, I failed the first attempt. I cried hard and loud. But I needed to get up. Who else would help me if I give up? I took extra classes seriously and took the second test. I made it. I made it. I MADE IT. Finally Alhamdulillah. And I became the only female from my school to join the faculty.
I passed the first year with several hiccups, especially on my calculus and (perhaps) physics grade. Those aren’t my cuppa tea. After the first year we will be put into four different majors; mining, petroleum, metallurgy, and geophysic. I was determined to take the petroleum engineering major, which was the best at the time amongst other majors so my bad grades were concerning. But alhamdulillah, I was blessed and I got the seat.
There were three sub-majors in my faculty : reservoir engineering, production engineering and drilling engineering. We studied all those three. But the funny thing is, of all sub-majors, I used to hate drilling engineering, It’s my least favourite subject at school. I was more of a reservoir and production person. Why you asked? It’s mainly because drilling is a whole different world to the rest sub-majors. It’s not very petroleum engineering-ish, more of a mechanic thing. It involved a lot of mechanic and physics formula that are not as complicated as reservoir and production calculation but really isn’t my thing. Considering I had bad grade on calculus and physics, this wasn’t helpful at all. And on top of that, drilling world, due to what I thought was really field-based, is really dominated by male population, while reservoir and production, not so much.
But it’s like a curse you know. What you hated becomes what you have to do now. The world really is mocking me. By the time I graduated, the oil price had been falling down, and I mean really hitting the bottom for 2 years. It was such a bad time for my class overall. And somehow, I got accepted in the biggest drilling service company in the world, which was very field based. But I hated it. The whole assessment process only took a day. Next day when I got accepted, I even cried due to me hating being away so much. And despite of the big offer, I declined it. I was not ready and prepared.
Then my CV was empty for one solid month. I was frustrated. I felt really ungrateful for the turned down offer. A lot of what ifs scenario were playing in my head. What if I took the job. What if I didn’t turn it down. What’s the worst could happen with me being on the field. Those were all very intoxicating and unhealthy for me. I looked for so many jobs. I even applied to other jobs other than in oil and gas industry. Honestly, I was only looking for hope. To keep my spirit up. I went to so many interviews and get declined countless times. However I stick to one belief : God was testing me, whether my effort was big enough to get the job I dreamed of. I wanted to prove to Him that I really meant it. I really was determined. And I really wanted a job. I was so hopeless until one day I got email from national oil company and they said I got the internship position in drilling department.
Drilling… well again, life was mocking me. But this time I was really happy. I was excited. There was no field job whatsoever. Everything seemed really great. But one thing. They said this was not their way to employ people permanently. So literally there was NO chance for me being employed. And, I was only an intern, there was no responsibility whatsoever and the money wasn’t that great. It was below standard minimum paycheck for Jakarta. And instead of paycheck, they even called it “allowance”. But I took it anyway, I needed hope and there He answered.
Oh, for your note, I lived with my parents, and still am. It’s a pretty safe and economic condition for me. First day, first week, first month passed by. Literally, I asked my mentor the same thing everyday “What can I help with today, sir?” and the answer was always “Take your time, there’s nothing much to do here, just enjoy!”. I was confused on what I had to do every single day. There were only really little amount of jobs given to me. So what did I do everyday? I looked for another job. I applied to so many jobs I lost my counting. I went to so many interviews. And hey, I never hide anything from my mentor. He knew all the process. He even encouraged me to look for another job.
Until one day, I registered myself to one of the multinational oil company as a completion engineer. There were two positions available : completion and drilling. I didn’t choose the drilling because I still prefer production – reservoir thing. And completion was production-ish. After registering myself, I actually didn’t really think about it. I made it the first assessment which was online. Then I went through the second which was screening interview by phone. There were only about 20 people made it to this stage. By this time I was just noticing that hey, I might actually secure the job. But I wasn’t that confident due to countless job application failures. And then I made it to next stage which was technical and HR interview. I was so nervous but Alhamdulillah I managed to answer some questions pretty confidently. Thanks to the internship, so I didn’t forget about drilling stuff. Then  I got the call again. They wanted me to do the final assessment day. So I went through FGD, presentation and interview. I felt really intimidated during the HR interview. I felt so hopeless and I thought that was it. There was no way I got accepted. But… God said differently.  I got a call a week later and they said I got the job. I was soooooooo thankful, grateful and excited. I cried due to the fact it was my last months from the end of contract as an intern.
Couple of weeks later, they told me :
“Hey, by the way, you are gonna be a drilling engineer ya. Not a completion engineer”
Now that’s amusing.

Regards,

Rach

You May Also Like

0 comments

Check These Out!

Women's Stuff

It's hard to be a woman, I tell you that in advance. (this post is just a rant and may act as slight information but I'm nowhere nea...